Best Practices for File and Directory"folder" Naming.
This is meant to help you avoid common errors in filenames.
These are also best practices for sharing files with anyone or on the web.
Characters to Avoid in File names and
Do not use any of these common illegal characters:
||left angle bracket
||right angle bracket
Also, keep these rules in mind.
- Don’t start or end your filename with a space, period, dash, or underscore.
- Keep your filenames under 31 characters.
- Our FTP server is CASE SENSITIVE.
- ( file.pdf, File.pdf, file.PDF ) would be seen as different files.
- All files need thier appropriate extension e.g. (.pdf, .jpg, .tif)
- When numbering files use preceding zeros.
File names should only contain letters and numbers.
The only other characters you should use are dash - and underscore _
My Stuff (for class).pdf
Do not use any extended characters in file names.
No tildes, no umlauts, no accents, no icelandic thorns
GÃ¼nter's El NiÃ±o Page.pdf
Do not put any blank spaces in your file names.
Remove all blank spaces, or replace them with dash - or underscore _.
my happy file.pdf
Only use lower case letters in file names.
Some systems are case sensitive and see capital letters as different. Some are case-insensitive and will see capital and lower case as the exact same letter.
File names should begin with a letter.
Names that start with any other characters can cause strange things to happen.
Keep file names as short as possible
(But keep the name meaningful).
If only I knew what to name this file for class on the 23rd of February of 2006, but I do not.pdf